European 7th Framework research project titled Enabling the Flourishing and Evolution of Social Entrepreneurship for Innovative and Inclusive Societies (EFESEIIS).
Period: December 2013 – December 2016
Partners: PIN S.c.r.l. Servizi Didattici e Scientifici per l’Università di Firenze (Italy, project leader), Münster University (Germany), University of Southern Denmark (Denmark), ALTERRA research institute (Netherlands), Glasgow Caledonian University (United Kingdom), FREN (Fondacija za Razvoj Ekonomske Nauke, Serbia), University of Northampton (United Kingdom), University of Warsaw (Poland), THE HUB Gmbh (Austria), Fondation Nationale des Sciences Politiques (France), Promoting Social Business (Albania).
1) To construct an evolutionary theory of Social Entrepreneurship that explains the differences of development throughout Europe, taking into account the history and trends of Social Entrepreneurship and how social entrepreneurship and institutions co-evolved over time.
2) To identify the features of an “Enabling Eco-System for Social Entrepreneurship”, i.e. the conditions under which Social Enterprises can contribute effectively and efficiently to build an inclusive and innovative society, with the goal of building a set of good practices.
3) To identify the “New Generation” of Social Entrepreneurs, emerged in the last five years, in order to harness its potential to policy making and for other stakeholders such as financial institutions and support organizations.
4) To provide advice to stakeholders. The project targets policymakers both at a European, national and local level as well as banks and other organizations such as chambers of commerce, associations of entrepreneurs and local development agencies. Every stakeholder will be provided with advice on how to draft policies and services to foster Social Entrepreneurship and Social Innovation.
- Understand the main problems in accessing resources for Social Enterprises: the sources, management and sustainability of the physical, financial and human resources that Social Entrepreneurs draw upon and rely upon.
- Understand how Social Entrepreneurs are able to bring resources together, develop networks and formulate and implement strategies to develop a viable organization and exploit the market opportunities.
- Understand the degree of appropriateness of the legal environments in which Social Enterprises operate.
- Understand how the linked concepts of Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship are related to Social Enterprise under an evolutionary perspective.
- Increase the visibility of the local, domestic and international role of Social Enterprise.