SROI analysis of Ronald McDonald Houses
Measuring the value created by Ronald McDonald Houses in Italy
Location: Florence, Rome, Brescia, and Milan (Italy)
Duration: February – May 2017
Client: Italian branch of Ronald McDonald House Charities (RMHC)
Several studies have stressed the benefits of ensuring that families stay together when a child is hospitalized. RMHC, of course, has made this the centre of its activities. In the past 17 years, RMHC has implemented programmes to support families with sick children who seek treatment far away from home, providing them with comfort, support, and resources just steps away from the hospital.
We evaluated the social and economic impact of RMHC activities in order to help them improve their existing practices. Basically, the research activity served as a transparent evaluation of the social value of Ronald McDonald Houses.
What have we done?
The SROI methodology is based on a participatory scheme to improve managerial processes and measure the socio-environmental return for beneficiaries. The analysis of the Ronald Houses measures the SROI index, or the social value produced by all the activities taking into account the experiences of the beneficiaries and stakeholders and translating it into an economic-financial value.
The SROI analysis of the activities of the Ronald Foundation was divided into the following phases:
- Contextualization of the Ronald McDonald Italia Children’s Foundation: its mission, activity, internal structure.
- Mapping of the activities involved in the management of the four Ronald houses in Italy
- Identification and monetary evaluation of the inputs used by these activities
- Stakeholder involvement (families, children, hospital, Ronald Foundation staff, donors) for participatory mapping of outcome and output.
- Calculation of financial proxies for the economic exploitation of outcomes. Subtraction of potential displacement, deadweight, attribution and drop-off effects
- Calculation of the SROI index. Compared to the 2016 financial year, Fondazione per l’Infazia Ronald McDonald Italia generated a social return of € 3.15 per 1 euro invested.
The SROI analysis states that every euro invested by the Foundation generates a social value of 3,15 euro.
To read a summary and get more information click here.